If you're thinking of changing career then a conversion course is the perfect way to transfer your skills to a new field

What is a conversion course?

Conversion courses are intensive postgraduate programmes that allow you to pursue a career that your undergraduate degree didn't prepare you for.

They're usually vocational and can last a few months to several years, depending on the qualification and whether you choose fast-track, full-time or part-time study.

Often condensing an undergraduate degree into a shorter time, they are useful for those people who chose their undergraduate degree without a career in mind and would now like to switch.

What courses are available?

  • Graduate Diploma in Psychology (GDP) - Gives students without a degree accredited by the British Psychology Society (BPS) access to professional psychology courses. Explore psychology conversion courses.
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) - The PGCE is the qualification to take if you want to become a teacher. Lasting one year full time, they can be incredibly competitive to secure a place on. Find out more about applying for teacher training.
  • Medicine conversion courses聽- If you didn't study medicine as your first degree, you can take a four-year, fast-track course. Some courses accept graduates from any discipline, while others require you to have studied a relevant subject such as biology or chemistry. However, you'll need to have completed relevant work experience to gain entry. Search medicine conversion courses.
  • Nursing conversion courses - Approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council, accelerated programmes allow you to complete training in two years (full time) instead of three or four. You can train in adult, children's, learning disability or mental health nursing. Universities set their own entry requirements, so contact departments directly to find out how to apply. Search nursing conversion courses.
  • IT conversion courses聽- Many graduates choose to undertake conversion courses in this field when considering careers in technical and business roles, as specialised theoretical and/or practical IT knowledge can significantly improve your prospects. Search information technology conversion courses.
  • Engineering conversion courses - Courses are available in a range of specialisms, from civil and structural to biomedical and energy engineering. Most include an industrial placement. While many courses list a degree of at least a 2:1 in either a science or maths-related subject as a requirement, some are designed for graduates of non-related subjects. Search engineering conversion courses.
  • Social work conversion courses - Typically taking two years to complete, the Masters in Social Work involves assessment through group projects, essays and a compulsory dissertation. As part of your application, you'll need to demonstrate a passion and commitment to social work through plenty of prior work experience - either from paid or voluntary positions. Search social work conversion courses, or find out what else you'll need to become a social worker.
  • Property conversion courses聽- To start your career in real estate you'll need a postgraduate qualification accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). This will equip you with all-round knowledge of the property sector, typically delivered from a business perspective. Search property studies conversion courses.
  • Economics conversion courses - If you didn't study economics for your first degree and wish to become an economist, this could be the right option for you. These courses provide training in core components of modern economic analysis and appropriate quantitative methods. They usually consist of a diploma year, followed by a Masters degree in the second year. Search economics conversion courses.

Conversion courses are also available in accountancy, business, human resources (HR), marketing and physiotherapy.

What does a conversion course involve?

Programme length and structure depend on the individual qualification. However, courses are usually hands-on, involving work placements, exams, essays and coursework - alongside taught tutorials. Courses taken at universities on a full or part-time basis usually follow the same time structure as standard degree programmes.

Fast-track routes are popular, as these full-time short courses allow you to obtain the skills you need to enter the job market in the shortest possible time. This intensity is the key difference to studying the same subject at undergraduate level, and you'll still be expected to do plenty of private study outside of your contact time.

By studying part time, you'll be able to gain work experience before you graduate, and study during the evenings and weekends. Get advice on working while studying.

What qualifications do I need?

Entry requirements depend on the qualification, course and institution. You'll almost always need at least a 2:1 Bachelors degree - although, due to the nature of conversion courses, it can be in any subject. You may get onto a course with a 2:2, providing you have sufficient relevant work experience to strengthen your application. Contact the institution if you don't quite meet the entry criteria to see whether they'll accept you.

If you're an international student, you should check individual requirements with your chosen university.聽聽may help you better understand how your qualifications compare with those in the UK.

Browse聽job profiles to learn more about the entry requirements for your chosen career.

How much does it cost?

Tuition fees for conversion courses range widely. However, PGCEs - the most notable conversion course - usually cost 拢9,250. International students should expect to pay considerably more.

You should never enrol on a conversion course without first understanding your funding options, because their vocational nature means that financial help, especially employer sponsorship, is commonplace. Your employer - or future employer - may be willing to sponsor you, especially if your qualification is accredited by a professional body and will prove beneficial to the organisation. Read all about professional qualifications.

Other sources of funding, such as聽postgraduate loans and scholarships and bursaries may also be available. However, this depends on the subject and your personal circumstances. For example, government bursaries are available for PGCE students with a strong first degree.

For more information, see聽funding postgraduate study.

Should I do a conversion course?

Taking a conversion course is essential if you're looking to fast-track a career change or continue studying but in a different subject from your first degree. Completing one will widen your range of skills, increase your confidence of landing work in a specific field and you'll achieve professional accreditation, all of which will improve your job prospects.

Changing career can increase your earning potential and allow you to pursue a vocation that you find more fulfilling. However, it may result in short-term stress and an initial drop in income. Before committing to a conversion course, ask yourself:

  • Is the qualification necessary for my profession?
  • Do employers value the qualification?
  • How many graduates get jobs after doing the course?
  • Will it lead to a聽PhD or further study?

If you're an international student, you'll also need to factor in additional costs and requirements, such as securing accommodation and a visa to study in the UK.

To help you make the decision, see聽what can I do with my degree? to discover where a conversion course could lead.

How do I find a course?

Before you choose a course, find out which programmes potential employers prefer, or if they state a preference at all. If this information isn't available, think about:

  • course content
  • department ranking
  • entry requirements
  • external course validation
  • institution reputation
  • relationship with tutors
  • student satisfaction
  • timetable
  • whether the course is taught by industry professionals.

To find a conversion course to suit you,聽search conversion courses.

How do I apply?

There's no single body that covers all postgraduate admissions - you'll apply directly to the institution for some courses, while for others, such as nursing, you'll be required to use UCAS. Each university has its own process and deadlines, but the rule of applying as early as possible still stands as institutions may fill their places early. Find out more about聽applying for a Masters degree.

Be aware that teacher training聽conversion courses have their own application processes and deadlines.

Find out more

How would you rate this page?

On a scale where 1 is dislike and 5 is like

success feedback

Thank you for rating the page